Sunday, December 7, 2008

The Beginning.....


Where to begin.....at the beginning a very good place to start.....


In 2001 I bought the bungalow. It was exactly like another bungalow on the same street that I had bid on about a year earlier. I lost the bid, thank goodness. Little did I know, the loss was in my best interest. This bungalow is similar but better. In the house I lost the bedrooms and bathroom were right off the dining room which took up wall space in the dining room verses mine which has a hallway seperating the bedrooms from the living room. There is a lovely swinging door so that the back of the house can be shut off from the front of the house and the bedrooms can be shut off from the rest of the house, too. It flows so much better. There were other small things like the great price I paid for my bungalow and much, much more. It just goes to show that everything happens for a reason. I was elated to get this house. It has the glass door knobs, hardwood floors, built-ins, a lovely fireplace, a fenced back yard, etc., etc. I believe we are the third owners.
In 2004 I moved to Chicago and had to leave the bungalow behind. I ended up leasing it to a nice guy. At one point he asked about buying it and I declined. I had every intention of living in the little bungalow again. I sort of view it as home base - a little piece of heaven from which I can launch all other adventures. The master plan is to have a little apartment/condo in Chicago, too, to have the best of both worlds. In the meantime I am absolutely elated to be home.
The most fortunate part is the place is in good shape. There isn't a gut rehab required. No one has damaged the integrity in a major way. Now it is minor fixes and some refinishing which is really the fun part when you have the dollars and/or the elbow grease to do it.




No comments: